When you’re a homeowner, one of the scariest perils to your home and loved ones is the chance of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration calculated in 2019 that American homeowners took on nearly $1.6 billion in losses by means of accidental or unattended fires. The terrible truth is fires are unexpected and are often stoppable -- with a little knowledge of where to act. And hopefully you have a monitored fire alarm that gets you help fast if you ever have an outbreak.
What Causes House Fires In Florence?
Fires can spark in nearly any place at any time on the premises. However, you can lower the risk of a house fire by taking precautions around the following household objects:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is the leading cause, by a huge margin, of a house fire in Florence. Cooking-related flames commonly result when the kitchen goes unattended while cooking food. Water thrown on a grease fire only works to escalate a flame that would otherwise be easily handled.
- Candles: Passing out in a space with a lit candle is risky, even if you’re using a recessed candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain on fire if left near a window, and pets can bump into candles while exploring. The National Fire Protection Association approximates that just over 7,600 homes were damaged due to candle-related incidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Faulty electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, malfunctioning or improperly set up lighting, and cut lamp cords is a big risk. Don't overwhelm your outlets or plug anything in with exposed wiring. And if you hear popping or smell smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off prior to investigating.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because junk, like pet fur, paper, or blankets can find their way in and spark up. However, you should also oversee fan and ceramic space heaters whenever the device is in operation.
- Cigarettes: Just in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 home fires started by smoking paraphernalia. If you enjoy tobacco that smokes indoors, be certain they never fall asleep with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully put out your tobacco items before you throw it into a garbage can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Help When It Senses A Fire
If a fire happens to spark, you have to have an effective detection system to notify your family members as soon as possible. An ordinary smoke alarm might be sufficient but is limited to alerting you if smoke is in thick clouds. A state-of-the-art fire alarm -- a security device that's connected to your home security network -- is able to discover both smoke and rising temperatures and can do more to make sure your family is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has many it can inform you of a fire. Your alarms can inform your loved ones with an incredibly loud siren and a notification to your smartphone. All the while, your 24/7 monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And should you be somewhere where you aren’t able to speed back in time when a fire breaks out, you can be reassured that your monitoring agent will maintain communication between you and the fire department.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The odds of house fires in Florence should never be discounted, but you can rest assured if you use a monitored fire alarm on the premises. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you install all the smoke alarms you need with a state-of-the-art home security system. Call (843) 310-4058 or send in the form below to get your home security system.